Saturday, December 24, 2011

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas...Peanut Butter Blossoms

I want to end this journey with my favorite holiday treat which is the peanut butter blossom cookie.  Peanut butter cookies in general are my favorite cookie.  And then you throw in chocolate and YUMMO!


PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOMS
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/5191/Peanut%20Butter%20Blossoms.aspx


  • 48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed light brown 
  • sugar

  • egg
  • 2 tablespoons milk

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Granulated sugar

Directions

Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates. 

Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture. 

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet. 

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each 
cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. 
About 4 dozen cookies.



FYI, I make my balls too big.  This recipe should make 48 cookies.  I made 24!  And I do that every year.  They're still delicious!  Also, I know some people prefer to use the Brach's chocolate star which is totally okay to use instead of the kiss but as a kiss lover, I don't know why anyone would want to do that.  ;p  

Summary of these 12 days

I had a lot of fun doing these recipes.  It definitely kept me focused, that's for sure.  I have learned you can never have too many measuring cups and spoons, storage tins or time!  I've also learned that I am my worst critic.  

My favorite recipe to make this year was the crock pot candy or as my friend Wendy called it "Crack Pipe Candy".    I was disappointed to hear this recipe didn't work out for some of you, with the complaint that the nuts got burnt.  The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your crock pot had a higher wattage than regular crock pots which would have cooked the ingredients instead of melting them.  Interesting fact about the crock pot.  The term "crock pot" is a licensed name that the Rival brand calls their slow cookers.  So all Crock Pots are slow cookers but not all slow cookers are Crock Pots.  Kind of like the name Kleenex.  Not all tissues are from the brand Kleenex but you sure do hear people calling all tissues that, even if they're referring to the roll of toilet paper they stole from the restroom at work.  

And I must say it felt pretty awesome to finally conquer not only peanut brittle but sugar cookies as well.  And to finally make gingerbread men since I've been putting them off for years for fear I would mess them up.  The gingerbread men still taste so good and are still super soft.  

I do think this will be the last time I make so many treats at once.  I enjoyed challenging myself but man, oh, man was that  a lot of work!   I'm looking forward to making a scrapbook of all my favorite holiday treat recipes and am happy to add some of the new ones to it to make every year.  

I hope you enjoyed this series.  I'm really excited about getting my kitchen back and making delicious dinners again and perhaps sharing a recipe or two with you.  I have a few crafty projects coming up as well.  See you then!  

Happy Holidays, 
Jules  

P.S.  My dad and his wife got me a new hand mixer for Christmas.  Yay!  And it looks like I'll be getting that Urban Decay Naked2 palette for Christmas after all thanks to Miss Anastasia Beaverhausen!  

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I want cookies now. Hahaha... These Peanut Butter Blossoms look so delicious. If there's a flavor combo I'm obsessed with, it's chocolate and peanut butter. Based on the pics I've seen, you have a talent for baking. All your treats look amazing. :)

    Yup. It would've been nice if the Naked 2 palette had another color instead of another Half Baked. Oh, well... At least the other colors make up for it. Love the gray ones in there too like Pistol. I'm also glad they included a lip gloss. I'm throwing that one in my purse. I like how it's minty and the color is pretty too. :)

    ReplyDelete