Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Card Day 2: Electric Boogaloo


I'm 4 days into December and I already have most of my card making done.  I've determined I have about 12 more cards to make.  Piece of cake!  


Yesterday was round 2 of card making.  I invited my friend Courtney over.  She had never made cards before.  She was excited (her favorite adjective, lol!) and overwhelmed by it all but by the time she got to her second card she was getting the hang of it.
Courtney in my craft room.  I like to take pictures of my guests being active in my craft room and then put them on my craft room walls.  I call it my "Wall of Fame". 

Here are some of the cards I made.





And in other news, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here.  If you didn't know, I love to decorate for the holidays.   I think I'm trying to recreate one of the happiest times of my childhood, which is visiting Santa at Armstrong's department store downtown Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  Armstrong's has been closed for almost 20 years now but the memory remains.   There was a long red carpet leading up to Santa and his chair.  There were ropes on each side of the carpet and beyond the rope was fake snow and all kinds of light decorations and trees.  The elves would pass out candy canes right before you got to sit on Santa's lap.  I had a huge crush on Santa.  My mom has a couple of pictures of me making out with Santa from when I was a kid.  I always wanted to kiss him.  Strange, I know but it kind of explains my attraction to Kenny Rogers when I was 4.


I have 3 full size trees in my home.

The tree in my living room that is decorated in bright colors.


This one is in my den.  I call it the "fun tree".  It kind of has a candy theme to it.   I put a lot of random ornaments including Elmo, My Little Pony and a few decorations from my childhood.

An ornament from Avon from the early 80's.  I had the full size puppy that I loved dearly.  I still have him, by the way.  The following year, Avon came out with the smaller ornament version.  He still looks brand new.  I'm glad my mom let me keep him.  



And this one is in my dining room.  It is my S'mores tree.  What's a S'more, you ask?
I've been collecting Midwest of Cannon Falls S'mores for about 10 years now.  I put them up for every holiday.  I even have a winter village dedicated to them in my dining room.
I added the ice skating rink this year.  I placed it right in front of the S'more baby Jesus.  I also like to put the manger scene right next to Santa's workshop every year.  Seems fitting...

My friend Jennifer made me Christmas pillow covers.  I love them!  They go so well with my furniture in my living room.  For more of Jen's craftiness, click here----->  http://goodenoughforjen.blogspot.com/

What do I want most for Christmas this year?
Urban Decay Naked 2 palette  http://www.urbandecay.com/Naked-2-Palette-by-Urban-Decay/282,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=12

Things to come:
*I have 4 birthday cards to make for the month of December
*I'm going roller skating on December 10th.
*My friend Stacy's little girl is turning 7 on December 11th.  Her name is Aniyah.  She is an avid skater and her derby name is the Aniyahlator.  She will more than likely be skating with us on the 10th to celebrate her birthday.
*Stacy and I are going to see Kathy Griffin in Cedar Falls on December 11th in the evening.
*I am challenging myself with a new blog series called "12 Days of Christmas".  In this challenge, I will make 12 different Christmas treats and write a blog about each one.  I anticipate this starting on December 12th.  There!  Now that I've said it, I have to do it.  


Thanks for looking!  What is it that you want most for Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. First of all, great work Julie. :-D

    Second, my dream present is an iPad2. Just cuz it's cool.

    I got a huge gift already: my pain issues seem to be going/gone. All by taken a Vitamin D supplement SO, if I don't get anything, I am truly grateful for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I'm so glad to read your health is getting better, or at least the pain is easier to manage. Vitamin D, eh? I might have to research that.

    ReplyDelete