Tuesday, December 20, 2011

On the Eighth Day of Christmas...Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Mmmm,  gooey chocolate crinkle cookies.  I've had the pleasure of eating these things over the years but have never made them myself.  It's one of those recipes that seemed easy enough.  As I mentioned in my last blog, my hand mixer is broken so I did all of this by hand.  Go me!  


Chocolate Crinkle Cookies


Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 stick Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions

  1. Beat brown sugar, shortening and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.
  2. Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to shortening mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and chill 3 hours.
  3. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar, then in powdered sugar to coat completely. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.  Make approximately 3 cookies.  

Not quite what I expected them to look like.  I thought they would be flatter.

These babies may not be flat but look at the ooey gooeyness!  

These get a high rating from me on taste.  They're a bit crispy on the outside and soft & gooey on the inside.  Perfect taste.  The appearance was not that great or at the very least, not what I expected.  As I mentioned, I thought these would be more flat.  Another thing I noticed was the powdered sugar took on a pasty texture, rather than a powdery one.  Now mind you, the paste was delicious, kind of like icing.  But I'm not sure that this is what they were supposed to look like.  If I make these cookies again, I may try a different recipe to see if I get other results.  

Thanks, 
Jules 

Stay tuned for puppy chow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment