Thursday, December 15, 2011

On the Third Day of Christmas...Pecan Toffee Fudge

No holiday season would be complete without a batch of fudge.  I have to confess that I'm not really into fudge that much.  I get a craving for it every now and again (the Amanas has terrific candy and fudge shops) but I can not eat it until I get sick like some people can.  True, I'm more of a salty girl.  Give me a bag of Cheetos or Doritos over fudge any day of the week.  But I do have a few fudge recipes I've made in the past.  I decided to try a new one this year.  A recipe with a little pizazz.  

Ingredients: 
1 tsp butter
1 package of cream cheese (8 oz)
3 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
6 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled 
1/4 tsp almond extract
Dash of salt
1/4 cup of coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 cup of toffee bits

Line a 9 inch square pan with foil and grease the foil with butter; set aside.  In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar.  Beat in the melted chocolate, extract and salt until smooth.  Stir in pecans and toffee  bits. 


Spread into prepared pan.  Cover and refrigerate overnight or until firm.  Using foil, lift fudge out of pan.  Gently peel off foil; cut fudge into 1 inch squares.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.   Makes 2 1/2 pounds.  






Okay guys, I'm not going to lie.  I didn't like it.  I'm not sure if I didn't mix it enough or if it's something I just don't care for.  I felt like the almond extract was what made me not like it.  It's very strong, in my personal opinion.  I wish I would have followed my instincts and used vanilla extract instead.  I also think it could use more nuts.  I'm not happy with this at all.  


This recipe was very easy to make, I will give it that.  And if you're into the almond taste, you may like this one.  It just wasn't for me.  




Tomorrow's recipe:  Pretzel Turtles


Thanks, 
Jules 

Edit: 12/16/2011 @ 1:49pm  CST 
*Stop the press!!!!  Okay, so I've tasted it again today and now I kind of like it.  The almond extract taste seems to blend in with the rest of the fudge and it's not as overwhelming.  So apparently the longer it sits, the better it gets.  I brought it in to work and my co-workers liked it.  Would I make this again?  No.  I think next year I'll go with a more traditional fudge.  No cream cheese next time.  But I didn't want my bad review to discourage you from trying this yourself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment