Wednesday, December 21, 2011

On the Ninth Day of Christmas...Puppy Chow

I'm going to make this short and sweet.  I think most people know what puppy chow is.  Or you may know it as the Chex Muddy Buddies.  Okay, so both names are not the greatest.   Dog food and I'm not even going to tell you what I think of when I hear "muddy buddies".  

Puppy Chow

9 cups of Chex (rice, chocolate or corn)
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup of butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1 1/2 cups of powder sugar 

Measure cereal into large bowl and set aside.  


In 1 quart microwaveable bowl,  microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute.  Stir.  Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until very coated.  


Pour into 2 gallon resealable food storage plastic bag.  I used the Tupperware big ass huge bowl.  


Add powdered sugar.  Seal bag and shake the ever loving shit out of it.  Spread on waxed paper to cool.  Store in airtight container in fridge.  




Note: The original recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips.  I use milk chocolate.  Makes it sweeter.  Also, I never put this on wax paper.  I just keep it right in the bowl and I don't even put it in the fridge.  


I make this every year but for some reason, this batch sucked donkey balls.  It didn't want to coat very well.  The recipe calls for 9 cups of cereal but the box had 12 cups so I tried to add more of the other ingredients as well.  I may have not had enough which is why it didn't coat well.  So stick with the recipe and you'll be a-ok.  


Tomorrow's treat: Salted Nut Rolls  


Thanks, 
Jules 

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I absolutely LOVE these!!
    I keep meaning to make some, but I always find myself so lazy. Maybe tomorrow :D


    <3,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're super easy. They take less time than they sound. And as long as you stick to the measurements (unlike me) then they'll come out perfect. FYI, I usually put a little more powdered sugar in mine just to make them look super white. You should totally make them!

    ReplyDelete