Thursday, January 19, 2012

41st Birthday Card

My oldest brother turns 41 on January 20th.  I just sent him a birthday card which he probably won't be getting on time because I procrastinated on putting it in the mailbox.  

This will be a my first attempt at doing a step by step blog on a card I've made.  And it will probably be a half assed one at that.  My cards at this point are really pretty amateur.  This is not a put down in any way towards myself.  I am still a beginner in the card making game and I'm looking forward to learning more techniques.  

I bought this 12x12 "Crowns" paper by the brand The Paper Studio for 59 cents awhile ago.  I think this may have come from Hobby Lobby but don't quote me on that.  I cut the paper down to the size of the card and adhered it.    

Next I found some light purple card stock and cut it down to about 1/3 the size of the card.  I then took my Creative Memories tearing tool and tore a jagged edge.  I then adhered it to the card. 

I then found a lavender piece of card stock.  I cut it down just a little narrower and shorter than the light purple card stock.  This time I used the tearing tool on both ends.  I then distressed this with Distress Ink in "Worn Lipstick".  

I cut a circle in the lavender card stock.  I also distressed it like the above lavender strip.  Then I stamped the "41" with the Inkadinkado clear stamps in "Curly Q Alphabet".  I used Memories Dye Ink Pad in black.  Then I adhered the circle to the end of the lavender strip.  


Next I stamped the word "YEARS!" on the lavender strip with the same alphabet stamps and same ink.   Then I put some bling on the one side of the circle.  

And finally I used a "Happy Birthday" stamp from Rubber Stampede.  I recently bought a cupcake stamp from Michaels in the dollar bin and used the hot pink Memories Dye Ink Pad.  I used the new Distress Stickles in Milted Lavender for the frosting.  I also used regular Stickles in Cotton Candy on the frosting as well.  It doesn't show up very well in pictures.  

While this card is not terribly masculine, I chose crowns because I thought it seemed sort of manly.  I chose purple to accent because it's such a regal color.  I decided to distress with pink because my brother really likes the colors black and hot pink together.  And the bling also seemed to go well with the whole royal theme.  Certainly not the best card I've ever made.  I do much better with girly cards.  But I do like this card.  And hopefully my bro will too.  

Thanks for watching! 

~Jules 


No comments:

Post a Comment